Tuesday 19 October 2010

"oh, another blog?"

Stepping to a brand new year, a brand new semester, it does seem a little exciting to realize that I have indeed endured one year of architecture studies in a new country which indefinitely brought me to realizing that I have another three years in this amusingly boring place of Dundee to be blessed upon. The new semester saw me entering a little later than usual which was basically becoming a norm for me lately. Greeted with a brand new project, it was a bit overwhelming after three months of dead lifestyle at home and was unusually happy to be able to design again for the new project, the Shelter project.

The design for this project was undeniably a page taken off from the concept idea of the design from my previous project, the Tower project from the second semester from the first year. The design of the shelter, which was a resemblance of the previous project of rotating elements to the top, which applied to this particular project, a plank. The basic concept for the shelter was to have bottom planks which act as steps and then seats, while the upper part of the planks act as a roof, a complete shelter.

Designing for this project also required one to be attentive to details and even the construction of the whole structure, basically defining in clarity as if constructing the design in a real life situation. With a pole penetrating the centre of the design, it gave a complying connection of touching planks which acted as glue to hold planks together. But alas, the construction was controversial as the durability of each plank horizontally was questioned and justified.

This particular project was overwhelming because the best three designs were to be constructed professionally as a permanent structure on each respective site. Alas, my design was not picked as a final product to be glorified as a complete structure. The follow-up for the project was to assemble other undeserving designers of the shelter project to then create a team which will finally construct the design from scratch to a final structure appropriate on the site, managing from raising own funds to cover the costs of the construction to erecting the whole shelter from ground.

The managing design which I was happily, without any regards at all that I was actually dejected as I have created a design unworthy to an amazing standard, to assist the design by Aoife O'Donnell. The design illustrated an A-shaped hollowed pathway with seats placed inside which through much construction and democracy of adding i's to every single name suggested, branded as The Crux. The team was divided into groups which was to be handling certain aspects of the construction of the site, namely the making and designing, the fundraising and the documentation. I placed myself somehow into the group to documenting, which job was to capturing every detailing of the construction of the shelter from start to finish. Through some discussion with the group or just basically casual talking, I landed myself to another gig of actually writing a blog regarding every little journey of the creation of the shelter, at which I surprisingly find myself agreeing to do. With that, I basically am in charge of another blog, one particular blog I am required to write on every single day as a mere contribution of the team of The Crux. Crux Rox?

The blog for The Crux project is as followed; www.theawesomecrux.blogspot.com

To retract, the blog was discontinued due to some miscommunication with fellow teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment