Wednesday 4 November 2009

"seriously!"

I have been very busy lately that this blog remain scarced for quite some time. Works have been piling on my in tray and the ratio on the out tray is not looking too good. Introducing the Habitat Project.

After visiting the site of Kenmore (at which I nearly missed and forced to sweat my first sweat by running to catch the bus), I found myself clueless on how to go on with this so-called project. During tutorial day, I bursted out the idea of having an unconventional house by having the public area and the main entrance on the first floor as one inhabitant, due to her Alzheimer's, is on a wheelchair. Honestly, I was reminiscing in my head storyline of Grey's Anatomy when this idea burst into my head, so, thank you Meredith Grey?

Still, having no definite idea on how the house would look like, I freaked out. Well, this is, in fact the first house I would ever design, eventhough it is for imaginary inhabitants I invented myself with names not everyone, or anyone ever heard of (Bedah Merana, Yusof Merana, Sundal Malam?), it is fresh and new to me. After a tutorial on Friday, I experimented with many hand-made boxes that cover the area of 200 meters square and concluded to a design of shifted rectangles, with help from tutor Cameon Mcewan, a design that seems simple yet intriguing. Note the hand-made part. A whole lot of things on this course have to be made from scratch, a concept I am trying to adapt.

So, as the design developed, the plan for the first floor and the ground floor is thought of. A point in this week, I heard someone, of who I believe is a fifth-year or so architecture student, said that you can never design a brand new design. There must be one or two designs that is the same as your own. Hence, upon looking at a book entitled "A Pocketful of Houses", though its generically tacky name, has found me an inspirational house, the Coromandel Bach by Crosson Clarke Architects. A direct impression of the house transfers to the outer layout design of my house which consist of panels of woods. Accompanying these wood panels are glass panels at random places, a little innovation of my own intrepetation of the habitat.

Still, a lot more things to do, to achieve, to finish. With mashed up (of laziness,) cluelessness and determination of the whole design and with side works that must be done (this blog!), I wonder if I could ever finish it all. Seriously!



No comments:

Post a Comment